Monday, February 1, 2010

"Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us"

Linda Christensen talked about a concept I already feel rather passionate about in her article, "Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us". She talks about the early corruption of the younger generations by way of cartoons, movies, books, and media in general. A good way to start off a class entitled "Teenagers in/and the media", as it paints a perfect picture of how those teenagers developed as children. Christensen saw the displays of sexism, class ism, and racism and thought of how introducing these concepts into the minds of the youth could be almost a form of brainwashing. She addresses how fiercely independent people these youngsters have become, "no one wants to admit they've been 'handled' by the media" (Christensen page 3).

I thought this article was written fairly straight forwardly and had little to no problem understanding it. The only part that ever became confusing to me was keeping track of all the students she cited! I liked how many different viewpoints she incorporated however. This article was written from one very direct point of view, but her various input from my peers made it seem less opinionated and bias.

I watched this video quite a while ago in a high school sociology class. It takes various clips from Disney movies past and present. I find it entertaining. If you don't mind entertaining your disgust responses.

But I ask, if we all can recognize that these movies are harmful to youth, how are they still unwavering in their popularity? How small is the margin that we fall into?

3 comments:

  1. I agree with Alexa, this article was written to be made easy to follow. To answer her question at the end, I would say it's going to take a lot of work to put in end to who sees what. We have made in known that seeing movies that can be harmful to youths. I can say that when I was younger, I watched movies that had violence in it, but because of my mom and dad I know that is not the life I want to live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also agree with Alexa & Adam, some movies and TV shows are harmful to youth. But i feel like are socity has made these movies and TV shows a norm so i dont think youth realize they are being fed these massages.Like Adam said perents should teach there kids that these images shouldnt be a reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the you tube video. it definatly does an accurate job of discussing the prtrayl of men and masculinity in disney

    ReplyDelete