Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Coming of Age with the Internet

I constantly remind my parents that my generation is 100 times more important and meaningful than theirs. I mean, they may be bankrupting Social Security, but we have controlling stake in the internet. I knew ever since the Napster crisis was found to be orchestrated by a 19 year old, the youth was going to have a very different romance with the internet than its creating generation.

I agreed much with McMillian and Morrison when they kept reiterating how the majority of online personas, relationships, and activity much resemble the offline versions for people. I also believe that the internet is not simply a place where everyone can escape from themselves and create an alter ego. The internet is a place where people can explore alternate forms of expression to further find who they are and more importantly who they want to be.

One of my favorite points these women brought up was the idea that the internet helps expose millions of seldom seen view points. Without this wealth of information at their fingertips they could not even find the points which they may closely relate too. One of my favorite new inventions is something called the StumbleUpon Bar. It allows you to rapidly search through a plethora of websites about any topic imaginable. It offers a wealth of knowledge to anyone, of any race, creed, or lifestyle.

The internet is the closest we have gotten to, to having a great equalizer. It is slowly becoming our one cohesive factor, and I cannot wait to see what it brings to our society in the future.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't say that our parents generation is more "important and meaningful than theirs". I would say it's just as important but in different ways. You know what I mean? I think our generation is for sure more technologically advanced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your use of the word "romance" when describing the internet. It can be an "on and off" relationship...beginning with the bloom of young love...discovering new things...then complacency...discovering new things...then complacency. Right now I "love" the internet because it makes my life easier. There are times when I feel "enslaved" or "consumed" by it which tends to be a bad thing!

    ReplyDelete