Thursday, January 28, 2010

When I was 13...

When I was thirteen I was entering into my freshman year of high school. I have a late birthday so most of my classmates were 14. At that age a year can mean a lot, and that year meant everything. 13 is your first year as a teenager. You don't know anything. You barely even have acne. But by 14 you were experienced. You could open a locker the first time you try and if you're lucky, you've started to get a mustache or wear something (anything) with underwire.

I jived well with high school though. I was always an avid reader, and finally felt like the classes I enjoyed the most, (Social Sciences and English) mattered. I also joined the marching band. Getting along with my older classmates was never a problem. It was fairly easy to be considered an equal when you stand as tall as I do. (Literally, I've been 5 11 since I was 13) I got involved with my schools Community Service Club. It felt nice to see school as a productive place. For the first time I was in school to learn, it was my job. It feels nice to do something for you when you've spent years doing it because you had no choice.

By the time I was thirteen I felt I had matured beyond the confines of my middle school. I felt like an adult. I grew a lot over my thirteenth year. And by the time it was over, I felt like an adult;
And that was how I knew I was a teenager.

No comments:

Post a Comment